Time & Location
Oct 21, 2022, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Bridderhaus, 1 Rue Léon Metz, 4238 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
About the event
In this masterclass, you will be able to deepen your knowledge of the Art Song Repertoire, with a special focus on Portuguese Song.
There is a list of 10 suggested songs from the main Portuguese composers, from which you can choose. If you find some other piece of music that isn’t on the list but that you would like to sing, or if you prefer to bring a song in another language (German, French, Spanish, Italian or English) you are welcome to do so. In this case, please inform the organization in advance of which song you will bring.
You will be able to develop your performing skills and widen your repertoire in this course for advanced learners guided by a leading expert in the field, the Portuguese baritone André Baleiro.
At the end of the course
You will be able to:
- Explore concert song repertoire in different languages.
- Explore concert song repertoire in Portuguese in depth, which includes not only composers from Portugal like Vianna da Motta, Freitas Branco, or Joly Braga Santos but also Brazilian composers like Heitor Villa-Lobos, Claudio Santoro, and many others.
- Develop your sensibility for the main aspects of the Portuguese language and pronunciation.
- Develop performance etiquette and communication with the audience.
- Increase confidence as a performer in concert and audition setting.
- Improve your technique and interpretation skills at an advanced level.
Master class format
Each participant is invited to bring along a concert song (gladly in Portuguese if you like) to be performed. After the performance of each song, everyone will receive feedback and guidance from the tutor, which will include aspects of pronunciation and diction, musical and stylistic approach, vocal technic, performance etiquette, and communication with the audience.
In order to better understand and situate this music, there will be a short description of this repertoire and its context in the musical and artistic scene of the time, and there will be given a short summary of the main aspects of pronunciation.
The master class will be held mainly in English. German and French will also be possible.
Friday, 7th October 2022
Registration fee: 50€